Moosburg Online: Moosburg Arms
The History of Moosburg - Town of the Three Roses

c. 30,000-8000 BC Palaeolithic stone blades from the Moosburg region.
c. 5800-5000 BC Excavated houses on the Ziegelberg indicate early settlements.
c. 5000-3500 BC Neolithic houses in Alpersdorf near Mauern.
c. 4000 BC Neolithic pottery from Kirchamper and Murr.
c. 1800-1200 BC Bronze Age cemetery on the Weißer Berg (White Mountain) near Asenkofen.
c. 500-15 BC Many rectangular sanctuaries ("Viereckschanzen") testify to Celtic settlements in Bavaria in the Latène period.
c. 15 BC - 476 AD After the Romans have conquered southern Germany (Raetia) they mingle with the Celtic population; Roman streets and other objects can be found in the Moosburg region.
The town's convenient location and its name "Moosburg" ("moor"/"swamp" and "castle") even indicate the possible existence of a Roman castle (Latin "burgus"), maybe on Münchener Straße north of St Michael's Church.
c. 500-788 After the decline of the Roman empire the Germanic tribe of the Baiovarii (Bavarians) immigrates from Bohemia. The dukes of Bavaria are members of the Agilolfing dynasty. In 788 the last Agilolfing, Duke Tassilio III, is dethroned by the Frank King Charlemagne.
769-71 The Moosburg Benedictine monastery is first mentioned. It has probably been founded by the Bavarian dukes or by the noble familiy Fagana. The monastic settlement "Mosabyrga" is the beginning of the town of Moosburg.
before 809 The relics of the martyr St Castulus are transferred from Rome to Moosburg.
895 The Freising bishop takes possession of the Moosburg monastery.
after 1027 Under the reign of Emperor Heinrich (Henry) II (he is depicted on the Minster's west portal) and Bishop Egilbert of Freising the monastery is transformed into a clerical chapter. The monks move from Moosburg to Weihenstephan near Freising.
1171 The Bavarian Duke Heinrich der Löwe (Henry the Lion) invites to a diet in Moosburg. On that occasion he probably lays the foundation-stone of a new Romanesque church, St Castulus' Minster (picture). It is erected under Bishop Adalbert (Albert) of Freising who is depicted on the Minster's west portal.
1207 A fire destroys the castle of the counts of Moosburg and parts of the Minster. A new castle is built (on the site of the present courthouse: picture).

The repaired St Castulus' Minster is consecrated.

1281 The last member of the counts of Moosburg dies. Their family arms with the three roses become the Moosburg town arms later on. The present arms are somewhat different from the historical example, since the roses have six petals instead of five (picture).
1313 In the battle of Gammelsdorf, troops from Moosburg fight on the side of Duke Ludwig (Louis) of Bavaria against the Austrians.
1331 First ducal privilege for Moosburg. Today, the year 1331 is considered as the time when Moosburg became a town.
1354-60 Members of the Moosburg clerical chapter create the Moosburg graduale, an illustrated manuscript with medieval chorals. It is now kept in Munich's Universitätsbibliothek (university library).
since 1403 The town wall is built (picture); some reconstructed rests can be seen along Stadtgraben and Krankenhausweg.
1468 Duke Ludwig der Reiche (Louis the Rich) of Bavaria-Landshut lays the foundation-stone of the late Gothic choir of St Castulus' Minster (picture). Before 1475 choir stalls are placed in the church (picture).
1514 The Landshut sculptor Hans Leinberger erects his high altar in the Minster's choir (picture).
1599 Moosburg's clerical chapter is transferred to St Martin's Church in Landshut.
1632/4 Swedish troops occupy Moosburg in the Thirty Years' War.
1702 A fire destroys half of the town.
1718 The foundation-stone of the Baroque town hall is laid (picture).
1722 A boy accused of sorcery dies at the stake.
1748 The first post-station is established in the Alte Post inn (pulled down in 1992 and replaced by residential buildings).
1820 The industrial school is opened (predecessor of the agricultural school).
1838 A municipal hospital is established in the Holy Spirit's Hospital (until 1865; pulled down in 1936).
1844 The Moosburger Liedertafel, a choir, gives its first concert.
1858 Opening of the railway line from Munich to Landshut.

The first agricultural district fair takes place. This tradition is kept up by the Moosburg "Herbstschau" (autumn fair: picture).

1865 The big fire destroys 71 houses. The fire brigade is founded by the Turnverein (sports club). The district hospital (Kreiskrankenhaus) is built. First issue of the weekly newspaper "Moosburger Wochenblatt".
1866 The town hall is reconstructed in Neo-Gothic style (picture).
1867-99 The three medieval town-gates are pulled down (picture).
1868 The Kolpingfamilie, a Catholic social organization is founded.
1875 The Pfrombach fire brigade is founded.
1882 A new municipal poor-house is established (the present old people's home Bürgerheim St. Elisabeth).
1884-6 The interior of the Romanesque and late Gothic St John's Church is remodelled in Neo-Gothic style (picture).
1903 The association of barley farmers is founded.
1906 Foundation of the Tonwerk Moosburg, predecessor of the chemical plant Süd-Chemie.
1908 With the building of the Uppenborn power station electrification begins. The ambulance column is founded.
1909 Erection of the water-tower designed by O. Leitolf (picture); the social democratic party (SPD) is founded.

The old gymnasium is built in Viehmarktplatz (cattle market; being out of repair it is pulled down in 1994 and then replaced by a multi-purpose building).


First performance of the Schäfflertanz (cooper's dance) by members of the sports club Turnverein. Nowadays, the dance is performed every five years (last time in 1997) by the sports club Sportgemeinschaft (figures on the Maypole).

1918 The Deutsche Hanfbaugesellschaft (German hemp planters' association) cultivates hemp and flax for the production of textiles. (In 1996 illegal hemp/cannabis fields are cleared by the police.)
1919-20 Construction of a canal connecting Amper and Isar rivers.
1922 The machine factory Steinbock is founded.
1928 First carnival procession in Moosburg.
1933 Elections for the Reichstag (German parliament): the Nazi party (NSDAP) gains 41 % of the votes in Moosburg; Bavarian people's party (BVP): 33 %, Social Democrats (SPD): 5 %.
1933-4 Building of the primary school for boys in Münchener Straße (picture).
1935 Plans for the erection of Nazi "temples of honour" near the Minster's choir (not carried out; picture).
1937 The Heimatmuseum, a museum of local history is founded (since 1975 in Kastulusplatz, the square behind the Minster).

The outdoor bath is opened in the town quarter Bonau (picture). Foundation of the electrical factory Driescher.


Shortly after the beginning of World War II a POW camp called Stalag VII A is established in Moosburg. 80,000 prisoners live in it at the end of the war.


American troops occupy Moosburg and set the POWs free. Until 1948 the camp serves as Civilian Internment Camp No. 6 with up to 12,000 prisoners.

1946 The Normstahl factory is founded (taken over by a Swedish company in 1997).

St Johns' Church is used by the Lutheran community.

since 1948 German refugees settle in the former Stalag area. It develops into Moosburg's new town with its craftsmen's workshops and commercial enterprises.

The public library (Stadtbücherei) is opened in the town hall (since 1975 in the former fire-station: picture).

1948-1949 Building of the new Isar bridge; the old one had been blown up by SS troops in 1945.
1949 The POW cemetery in Oberreit is remodelled (in 1982 a memorial cross is erected; picture).

The new waterworks are opened. St Pius' Church is consecrated (picture). The Kolpingsheim, the house of a Catholic organization, is completed (picture).

1957 The Realschule (secondary school) is built (picture).
1958 The memorial of refugees is unveiled (picture).
1960 Opening of the school for agriculture and domestic science.
1962 The Fliegerclub (aviation club) opens its airfield (picture).
1963 Unveiling of the Stalag memorial fountain by Antoniucci Volti (picture).
1965 The town is given its present official name "Moosburg a.d. Isar" (Moosburg-on-Isar). Opening of the bypass (B 11).
1966 The municipal building with its indoor swimming pool is built (picture).
1967-9 The Grund- und Hauptschule (primary and secondary school) in Albinstraße is built (extended in 1998-9: picture).
1968 Sponsorship for former citizens of Königsberg a.d. Eger / Kynšperk (Czech Republic).
1969 Building of the old people's home "Friedel" (taken over by Arbeiterwohlfahrt in 1997 and pulled down in 1998).
1971-9 Moosburg incorporates the villages Thonstetten (1971; picture), Niederambach (1976) and Pfrombach, the housing estate in Uppenbornstraße (1978) and the hamlet Murr (1979). The Moosburg town area triples.
1973/4 Sponsorship for former citizens of Hodschag / Odzaci (Serbia); town twinning with Bry-sur-Marne (France).
1976 Building of the grammar school Karl-Ritter-von-Frisch-Gymnasium by Willi Schorr (picture).
1977 First Moosburg "Altstadtfest" (old town festival).
1978 Foundation of the Heimatverein Moosburg (society for local history).
1979 The town council votes for a west bypass, a railway underbridge and the commercial district "Degernpoint".
1980 Zoning-plan for the residential area "Feldkirchner Au".
1981 Zoning-plan for the residential area "Am Mühlbachbogen"; the densely built houses, a lack of shops and an inadequate connection with the main roads cause problems in the following years. Town twinning with Rochester, Minnesota (USA).
1986 Foundation of "Kimm", a centre for women and mothers.
1987 The government decides to complete the motorway A 92 between Freising and Moosburg.
1988 Opening of Juliane-Maier-Haus, a home for disabled people run by Lebenshilfe.
1991 Town twinning with Moosburg in Kärnten (Austria). Zoning-plan for the commercial district "Degernpoint". The Kammerorchester Moosburg (a chamber orchestra) is founded.
1991-2 Extension of Grundschule Süd (primary school) by Simon Scheidl (picture).
1992-4 Building of a new water purification plant.
1995 Election of the first Moosburg youth parliament. The courthouse extension by architect Stefan Wenzl is completed (picture). The citizens' network organization Bürgernetz Moosburg is founded (since 1996 Bürgernetz Weihenstephan)
1995-7 Erection of the multi-purpose building in Viehmarktplatz (picture); reconstruction of the streets Herrnstraße (picture) and Weingraben.
1996 The Wiesheu petrol station in Moosburg is the first place in Upper Bavaria to offer biological Diesel fuel. The old waterworks in Viehmarktplatz are pulled down.
1996-7 Building of the old people's home (Seniorenwohnpark) of Arbeiterwohlfahrt by Wolfgang Schinharl (extension until 1999) and of the kindergarten in Aich.
1997 One of the two hospital wards is closed due to high costs; opening of a birth house and of Anneliese-Schweinberger-Haus, the second home for disabled people run by Lebenshilfe; Zoning-plan for the residential area "Oberes Gereuth"; the commercial district "Degernpoint" is finally begun. Moosburg has again its own brewery: the new "Drei Rosen Bräu"; it closes again in 2001.
1998 The town bus starts its service; the kindergarten for disabled children is founded by Lebenshilfe.
1998-9 Extension of the Grundschule Nord (primary school) in Albinstraße by Simon Scheidl (picture).
1999-2000 New Lutheran Church and parish centre by Ute Grindl (picture).
2000 Opening of the recreation area "Aquapark". The artificial lake had served as a gravel-pit for 20 years. New hall for Grundschule Süd (primary school) by Simon Scheidl.
2001 A Buddhist centre and pagoda is opened in the "Lotusgarten" hotel. Opening of St Elizabeth's kindergarten.
2002 New parish centre for the free church Freie Christengmeinde Neues Leben by Volker Herzog. New parish centre for the free church Freie Evangelische Gemeinde. The Moosburg hospital is closed.
2005-6 Building of a multi-storey car park at the Moosburg railway station.
2005-7 Building of an underbridge at Thalbacher Straße and the railway line ("BayWa-Unterführung").
2006 The Moosburg courthouse is closed.

Sources and further reading:

Citizens' Net Moosburg Online Information German
Last update 20 Oct 2005 by © Werner Schwarz (E-Mail) - All rights reserved!